Ever heard of air fryer spanakopita bites? Yes? No? Whichever it is, let's show you how to make this recipe and get it right, even if it's your first time trying it out. These are crunchy spanakopita bites that can serve as an appetizer or party dish. They're a combination of spinach and salty cheeses with some lemon and heat. Therefore, if you're craving a savory and healthy snack with Greek flavor, it's a recipe you should try.
On the other hand, we've dedicated updates on making recipes like the Spicy Air-Fried Chicken Wing Drumettes and Crispy Toasted Sesame Tofu. Other recipes to try are Air-Fried Breakfast Bombs, Air-Fried Hot Chicken Thighs, and Mexican-Styled Air-Fried Corn.
Ingredients for Air Fryer Spanakopita Bites
The ingredients for air fryer spanakopita bites are:
- One large egg white
- One teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- One tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- One teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup 1% low-fat cottage cheese
- One (10-oz.) pkg. baby spinach leaves
- One ounce feta cheese, crumbled (about 1/4 cup)
- Two tablespoons finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper4 (13- x 18-inch) sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- Cooking spray
How to Make Air Fryer Spanakopita Bites
To make air fryer spanakopita bites, do the following:
- Take out a large pot and place some spinach and water in it
- Cook over high and often stir for five minutes until wilted
- Drain out the spinach and let it cool for about 10 minutes
- Use a paper towel to press and remove the moisture in the spinach.
- Next, create a combination of spinach, feta cheese, Parmesan cheese, cottage cheese, egg white, zest, black pepper, salt, oregano, and cayenne pepper. Let the mixture blend completely
- Place a phyllo sheet on a plain surface and brush its surface lightly with oil
- Place another sheet of phyllo and brush with oil using a pastry brush. You can then form four oiled sheets and stack them together.
- From the side, cut the sheets into 8 strips and then cut the strips into half, crosswise, to form 16 (2 1/4-inch wide) strips.
- Place a tablespoon filling to the short end of the strip
- Fold a corner of the strip over the filling to give a triangular shape.
- Proceed to fold back and forth to the end of the strip.
- Use cooking spray to coat the basket of the air fryer lightly
- Place 8 packets, seam side down, in the basket, and spray the top
- Cook at 375°F until the Phyllo is ready
- Repeat the process with the leftover phyllo packets
Best Air Fryers for Making Spanakopita Bites
If you haven't purchased an air fryer before this time or the one you currently have is not fully functional, consider buying one of the units reviewed below:
1. PowerXL Vortex Air Fryer Plus 5 Quart:
The PowerXL Vortex Air Fryer Plus 5 Quart features a large capacity that will enable you to cook more food each time. This unit has several functions, including air fry, dehydrate, bake, roast, and reheat. As such, there are lots of things you can do with it. The unit also boasts of turbo-charges, whirlwind vortex superheated hot air that helps to make food crispy. It'll cost you $123 to purchase this cooking appliance.
2. The Emeril Lagasse Power Air Fryer 360:
The Emeril Lagasse Power Air Fryer 360 also features an extra-large capacity. Its cooking functions include Air fry, rotisserie, dehydrate, bake, toast, roast, reheat, slow cook, broil, bagel, pizza, and warm or reheat. You also get accessories like drip tray, rotisserie spit, baking pan, pizza rack, and crisper tray to make cooking easier. This unit costs $199.99. Here's our full review of the Emeril Lagasse Power Air Fryer 360.
You'd agree that air fryer spanakopita bites are easy to make, especially if you follow the steps outlined above. These tips will enable you to make the recipe as a snack whenever you crave for it. Also, choose from the air fryers above to make this meal.